What are my rights and duties now?

What rights and duties do I have as a citizen?
In connection with preventative steps by the government against the spreading of SARS CoV-2 from midnight on 16 March to 1 April 6:00 a.m., a restriction on the free movement of persons was announced, with the defined necessary exceptions. As part of the state of emergency, since 19 March all movements by persons and presence in public places outside one’s residence without protective respiratory equipment has been prohibited.


  1. I can travel to work or for the purposes of my business.
  2. In the event of an important need, I can travel to see close persons.
  3. For myself and my family members, I can handle basic needs, such as the purchasing of food, medicine, hygienic products or pet supplies.
  4. I can travel in the event I am performing activities such as volunteering, neighborly assistance.
  5. I can travel to healthcare facilities, social service facilities, veterinary care facilities and can accompany close persons to such facilities.
  6. I can travel in the event of urgent official matters with regard to the operations of administrative bodies.
  7. I can perform occupations that consist of ensuring security, internal order, health protection, health or social care, individual spiritual care, mass public transport, distribution and supply services and veterinary care.
  8. I can spend time in parks or the countryside.
  9. I can travel to and from the place where I live.
  10. I can attend funerals.


  1. I have to restrict my movement in publicly accessible places to the shortest necessary time.
  2. I have to be in the place where I live with the exception of the cases stated in the chapter “What Can I Do?”
  3. I have to limit contact with other persons to the shortest necessary period.
  4. I have to have protective respiratory equipment every time I am in all places except for my residence.


  1. Employers should try to enable employees to work from home as much as possible. Support holiday or paid leave and limit work that is not necessary to maintain the employer’s activities.
  2. It is recommended that everybody maintains a distance of at least two metres when in contact with other persons in public spaces.
  3. Cashless payments are preferentially recommended.
  4. It is recommended to operators of public services that they create in their space conditions for the maintenance of a distance of at least two metres between people and ensure increased public health measures.

What duties do I have as a municipal mayor?
Mayors of municipalities are ordered, from 4:00 p.m. to midnight, to ensure assistance for persons over 70 when handling basic needs, including purchasing food and medicines.

What duties do I have as a pensioner? Am I prohibited from going out?
It is recommended that during the state of emergency persons over 70 do not go outside their homes, with the exception of visiting a healthcare facility for the purpose of obtaining urgent healthcare. The best prevention is to go outside your home as little as possible, ideally not at all. A time has been reserved for senior citizens, from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., when persons under 65 are prohibited from being in retail outlets with a sales space of more than 500 m2, so it is recommended that senior citizens make use of this time to take care of their needs.

I’m a senior citizen. Who should I call if I don’t know what to do and I’m worried?
All questions and ambiguities concerning the coronavirus will be answered for you on the free infoline 1212 or on the three National Institute of Public Health infolines: 724810106, 725191367 and 725191370. They may be very busy and it could take a while before you get through. In such cases, remain calm, don’t panic and be patient. If you feel any symptoms, don’t feel well, etc., definitely do not go anywhere. You can either call your general practitioner, who has all the necessary information and will advise you precisely on what to do, or you can also contact the relevant regional public health station, which will provide you with clear instructions on what to do. If, however, you feel really bad, you can obviously call 112, but certainly state up front that you are feeling coronavirus symptoms. Only make use of this line, however, in a real emergency.

I’m a senior citizen. Who will buy food for me or bring me the necessary medicine?
In this regard it should be your children that take care of you, the government is calling on the younger generation to take care of senior citizens. If, however, this is not possible (you do not have children, they are in quarantine or you are separated by a great distance), don’t worry. Neighbours can certainly help. They can collect prescription medicines for you if you call your doctor and ask for an electronic prescription to be sent. Your doctor will send it to any mobile phone and somebody else can then collect the medicine without any problems.

I’m a senior citizen and I don’t have anybody to help me. Who can I turn to?
There are options in the form of various delivery services, care home services, using the services of volunteers or various organisations, centres and senior citizen’s clubs that are progressively offering assistance. If you don’t know what to do, call the free advisory line 1212.

For citizens of Prague: Život 90 has opened a Coordination Centre for senior citizens from Prague and a nonstop line for assistance in a crisis on 739 477 609. Helplines are being established by municipal and town authorities.

What applies to me if I am not a citizen of the Czech Republic?
The same movement restrictions and other crisis measures that apply to citizens of the Czech Republic apply to foreigners in the territory of the Czech Republic.

Will I get support from the government if I am at home with my children and am self-employed?
Yes, the government has approved a financial contribution for the self-employed that are currently at home in order to provide care for children, the government has approved a financial contribution. The government will pay out CZK 424 a day, i.e. just under CZK 14,000 a month, to all sole traders that are caring for children aged 6 to 13, provided that the care allowance is not being drawn by another family member.

Can citizens go to their cottages during the period of restrictions on movement?
If citizens do not have ordered home quarantine for a specific place they can go to their cottages, provided they are not buildings in a closed location and such people plan to remain there and not meet with other persons.

I get treatment regularly at a spa. Can I visit spa facilities?
Spa facilities have not been accepting new clients since 19 March 2020.

I’m pregnant. Should I be worried?
According to the available information and monitoring of the cases of pregnant women with confirmed COVID-19, transmission through the placenta, mother’s milk or during birth has not yet occurred. Its presence has not been ascertained even in amniotic fluid or mother’s milk. There is currently no information about what influence the virus has on an infant if the mother is exposed to it in the first or at the start of the second trimester. In the case of previous coronavirus infections, specifically SARS and MERS, such an influence was not proven. In the case of the current COVID-19 infection, doctors have not yet registered complications, such as miscarriages, congenital defects, changes in the growth of the foetus or spontaneous premature birth, if the mother gets sick in the first or second trimester.

Is the treatment of pregnant women with COVID-19 different?
A pregnant patient should always consult a doctor about her condition and if she reports a suspicion she has the coronavirus infection, for example to a public health station, it is necessary to highlight the fact that she is pregnant. The good news is that the antivirals that doctors give patients with COVID-19 can also be given to pregnant women, without this endangering the mother-to-be or the foetus.

Is there a risk of transmission from a sick mother to a child after birth?
Although transmission from a mother to an unborn child has not been recorded, the situation is different in terms of transmission to an infant. The youngest patient with the COVID-19 infection was diagnosed 36 hours after birth.

Contact between a mother and child is very close and preventing transmission is complicated. Therefore, in China, for example, infants are separated from infected mothers for at least 14 days and mothers do not even breastfeed them – they express milk, to maintain lactation. They start to breastfeed after they recover and are tested negative for COVID-19.

As a father, can I be present for birth?
No, the exception to the prohibition against visiting hospitals applying to the presence of fathers at a birth was cancelled on 18 March 2020. The exception for visits to minor patients still applies. It is therefore possible for a father to visit a newly-born child. It is obvious that hospitals have the right to set a certain hygiene regime for such visits.  

Can I say goodbye to a dying person in a hospital facility?
Yes, there is an exception to the prohibition against visits to healthcare facilities, specifically for patients in hospices and other patients in the terminal stage of an incurable disease.